Resources for Developing
Small Christian Communities
Give this to your facilitators as a guideline to follow during their Small Christian Community meetings.
[Most articles can be downloaded; if you see no download form, write to us.]
Note: This format for SCC meetings — and all pages about developing Small Christian Communities — can be downloaded as a printable PDF set; scroll down to the order form at the bottom of the Table of Contents.
Meeting Duration: 1-1/2 hours, plus fellowship time with refreshments
START AND END ON TIME!
- Welcome everyone and introduce new members
- Be careful not to allow too much time gabbing and getting reacquainted; save that for refreshment time
- Opening prayer, asking God:
- to be present in the meeting
- to anoint each person’s mind and heart for sharing and learning
- to guide the meeting and keep the conversation on track
- to be with those who couldn’t make it or are late
- to fill everyone with the Holy Spirit, the teacher of truth
- and end by giving God glory and praise
- Read 1st scripture and commentary
- Faith sharing on that scripture; ask the members:
- What part of that related to you and your life?
- How does this help you with your daily life?
- What struck you the most? Why?
- And/or use questions given by the commentary
- Repeat #4 for 2nd scripture and Gospel reading
- Life Application just before meeting ends
- What goals do these scriptures give you for this week?
- How would you like these readings to change you?
- What would you say was the theme God gave us in this meeting?
- Closing prayer
- Summarize the main lessons learned in the meeting and thank God
- Ask God to help make these lessons take root in us and change us
- Open the prayer to petitions made by anyone who wants to offer them
- Offer up all unspoken needs and the needs of those not present
- End with the “Our Father,” a “Hail Mary” and a “Glory Be”
- Share whatever news is pertinent (upcoming retreat, info about a member who is absent, etc.)
- Assign who will bring refreshments next week (use predictable schedule)
- Fellowship with refreshments, which members take turns supplying